My 4 yr old, 24 lb. male cat has started pooping on carpet in early AM. Rest of day and eve., litter box always used.Why

The litter box is low, large and scooped many times daily with fresh litter added each time. He only does this around 5-6 am. All day and evening he uses litter box. He's not sick and eats and drinks normally. Nothing else about him has changed. What's going on? There have been no changes to our household or his care.

Asked by Member 1155854 on Feb 18th 2013 in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

If he had stopped using his box entirely, then I'd ask what had changed or if he wasn't feeling well. But the timing of his not using the box makes me wonder if he just can't make it to his box in time. If he eats, especially wet food, at night and then goes to sleep, his bowels may "kick in" when he awakens and his trip to his box may seem a mile long to him. I feed my cats their wet food at night, also, and every night, as soon as he's done eating his wet food, Izzie is in his box for his evening constitutional. Try setting out another box for him if you can, closer to where he sleeps and see if this helps. if he's that regular, then keep an eye on him and If you see him head for "his" spot on the carpet, pick him up and put him in the box. Don't yell at him as this might turn him off the box entirely. Praise him when he does his business in the box. And if you feel he might not be able to make it to the box in the AM, try feeding him a little earlier.