My 4 week old kitten won't poop but pees fine....

Hello, I've had Smokey for about a week now, shes about 4 weeks old. I found her next to the road where her mom had just been hit. I looked for other kittens but only saw her. I took her straight to the vet and they said she looked to be in good health and told me everything to do. I stopped on my way home and got her a bottle and KMR and some canned kitty food. She seemed to be doing well and pooping and peeing fine, well after I stimulated her. After a day of me stimulating her she started going by herself. Well a couple days later she started sneezing so I took her to the vet and they said she had an upper resp. infection. They gave her medicine for the infection and also gave her worming medicine. When she came home she was pooping ok but after a couple days she stopped but she still pees. Its been about a day and a half now and I was wondering if you had any advice on what to do or if I should be worried? Or maybe if it was a side affect of the resp. infection medicine?Please Help

Asked by Member 735607 on Sep 13th 2008 in Health & Safety

Best Answer

When I wormed my adult Katrina rescue cat, Hope, she went so much those first few days that there wasn't anything in there to come out. She went two days without having a BM but then everything was fine. Your baby is really young--just at the age where she should just start to be weaned. If you want, you can try her on a small amount of dry kitten food moistened with KMR, or some canned pumpkin on your finger. The solids in her system might stimulate her to have a BM. The combination of the antibiotic and the worming medicine may have temporarily constipated her and you may notice that when she does 'go' her stools will be very smelly and loose. If she is still not going after Monday or Tuesday, I would call the vet and ask what they think you should do. Btw--bless you for rescuing this baby. You are a GOOD person!

Izadore (Izzie) answered on Sep 14th.

Answers

You seem to be doing all the right things but its not normal for a cat to stop pooping. You should take her back to the vets to make sure everything is OK.

Ranma

I would monitor how much you feed her and watch to see if she poops. if she doesn't I would try to stimulate her and if that still doesn't work take her back in. I don't think that the meds should make her constipated.

Ranma answered on 9/13/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

What a brave little kitty and a good mommy! I can honestly say I wouldn't even know what kitten poo looks like mine will be three wks next week and momma's here with them. I wonder if it could be from the worming medicine. I know when I worm my cats its a day or two before they hit the box,and I think your right it might be the other meds. Or maybe the stress of vets and new parents. I think shell be ok. Keep up the good work

Gracie

With a kitten that small, whenever something like that is off, it's a reason to bring her back to the vet. So yeah, I know that going to the vet all the time is annoying (mom says we're there every couple of weeks because of my stupid ears), but it's what you gotta do.

Since the not pooping might be related to the worming, hopefully the vet allows you back for a followup and does not charge you full price for the visit.

Gracie answered on 9/14/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Hunter

Antibiotics usually cause diarrhea not constipation. you should try to stimulate her and if she doesn't go, you need to take her back in to the vet. Constipation can lead to not eating and eventually cause more serious problems so you want to get theis taken care w/in the next 12-24 hours. If she stops eating or drinking before you can get into the vet, then you need to take her in on emergency, just to be safe.

Hunter answered on 9/14/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer