My 3 year old cat is eating a lot more than usual - I'm not sure if it's because winter is coming up or what..
In everything else he is behaving completely normally. My father said it's because winter is coming up, but I'm not sure if that's the case. Is this normal?
Is it possible he's going through a growth spurt or something?
He hasn't lost or gained any significant amount of weight. He has gained a tiny bit of tummy fat but that's it.
Since he's behaving normally otherwise, I don't think I need to take him to the vet (not that we can really afford it right now). But if it's serious I'll do so.
- Cast your vote for which answer you think is best!
First of all, winter is a ways off! Second, it is possible that your cat is going through a growth spurt. In order to determine if your cat's excessive appetite is due to some type of illness, look closely to see if he is drinking more water, urinating more, or is hyperactive. In any event, it really does sound like your cat needs to see a vet before something small becomes more serious. Hope kitty is okay!
First of all, Black Thorne's profile says his favorite food is "dark chocolate". Please be aware that chocolate is toxic to animals. If he's been eating chocolate in copious amounts for a while, he could have suffered internal damage. Having said that, diseases usually cause a lack of appetite and other behavioral changes such as hiding,lethagy, vomiting, diarrhea, etc. If Black Thorne is behaving normally, you may want to start by taking a stool sample to your vet to be checked for intestinal parasites. This will not incur an office visit fee. Keep a close eye on BT for other signs he may be ill. We always suggest that if there is a sudden change in behavior of any sort, at least a call to your vet is a good idea.
Izadore (Izzie) answered on 8/2/11. Helpful? / 0
The two most common reasons for an adult cat to start eating a lot is worms or hyperthyroidism. Hyperthyroidisn is usually only seen in older cats so Black Thorne is unlikely to have that. It is possible though so if he starts losing weight its worth taking him to the vet to make sure. Worms are more likely in a 3 year old cat and they can catch worms if they eat a flea or eat a mouse with worms. If you see any worms when he uses the litter box or see anything around his butt that looks like a grain of rice you'd know for sure but sometimes you can't see anything obvious. Izzie's advice re taking a sample to the vet is a good one. You can also call your vet to see if they will just sell you worming tablets.
As long as he seems well and is eating/drinking/peeing/pooping it is probably not anything more serious but treating him for worms is a good idea.
If he is still not back to normal after a worming treatment then you should take him to see the vet.
Sassy (2001-2012) answered on 8/2/11. Helpful? / 0