My 3 year old cat Oreo is constantly chasing and attacking my 7 year old cat Baggie, how do I get him to stop?

My cat Oreo is about 3, I raised him with a bottle when he was a kitten and he is a sweetheart at times but his mood suddenly changes and he attacks my 7 year old cat Baggie. Oreo chases him all day and won't leave him alone. Then when I yell at him no, he gets mad, swings at me(never actually hits me) and starts chasing him more. I try to keep Baggie away from Oreo, but I live in a small one bedroom apartment and it's hard to keep them apart. I consider Oreo as, silly as it sounds, my child. I baby him a lot. Is he showing signs of being spoiled? He definitely is being a brat. Or is it something else? I've thought about putting him in a catcarrier when he attacks Baggie, but I don't think it will help. My mom wants to get rid of him, but like I said before, he's my baby and I don't want to see him leave my house. We've considered getting Oreo some kitty Prozac, or get him declawed. Please help! I just want him to be a calm cat.

Asked by Member 1000304 on Aug 12th 2010 Tagged aggression, spoiled in Aggression

Answers

Getting him declawed will not calm him down. If anything, it will make it worse. Declawed cats know there's something missing and will act out and use their teeth instead. Put some pennies in a soda can, tape the top shut and when Oreo begins to act out, say "NO!" and shake the can at him. Kitty Prozac might work, but it needs to be used in conjunction with behavior modification. Don't coddle and spoil Oreo as much as you want to. It just feeds his belief that he's the boss in your family. You may even need to reintroduce the two cats--separate them, then let them into each other's rooms. He does sound like he is getting much too overstimulated. When the behavior starts, he may need a time-out in his own room for a while.

Indiana Angel Cat

I've been telling everyone about this-it's called a Calming Collar. A Catster mom makes them and I got one and it has been amazing. Indy and Kitty P have been on kitty prozac and it helped some, but daily he still did what Oreo is doing. I got this calming collar on recommendation because Hazel Lucy was trying one and it has helped!!! it's www.calmingcollars.com and if you use hazellucy in the promo section you get a discount. I would try this if you can. good luck!

Indiana Angel Cat answered on 8/12/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Harvey

How does Baggie act when Oreo attacks/chases him? Frightened? Annoyed? Angry? I'd have to see them myself to make a judgment, but they could just be playing--with Oreo enjoying it more than Baggie. I have 13 cats at present, and two of them pick on some of the others. As long as blood isn't drawn, I don't worry too much. As I said, I'd have to see your cats interacting with my own eyes to be sure, but it doesn't sound like such a big problem that Oreo should be rehomed or put on a powerful psych med (antidepressants are not without side effects). And I agree with Izzie that declawing causes more problems than it solves. I hope you won't have to give up your baby!

Harvey answered on 8/12/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer