My 2 year old adopted cat, cries when it get's dark and wants to go outside. She just won't stop! It is driving us nuts

She was found outside under a porch at 7 months when I adopted her. She and my other cat go out on leashes 2 x a day. should i stop the leash activity alltogether?

Asked by Member 906147 on Oct 29th 2009 Tagged cryingcat in Noisiness

Answers

I don't think it will make a difference if you take her out on a leash or not. I am assuming she's spayed, because if she's not, that would make a big difference. It's possible that there are visitors who come into your yard at night. She may hear night sounds that make her want to go out and investigate, especially if she hears another cat. When she starts crying, try distracting her by playing with her. A laser light, a feather teaser, even teach her to play "fetch". Tire her out and she may not be as enthusiastic about going out. And check around your yard for anything at night that could be making her want to go out. Night and darkness is fascinating for cats for some reason. I know that my own cat, Lily Rose, will not come in if she's out at night until she's ready. I'm not sure what the attraction is, but I understand your dilemma!