Artemis

My 1 1/2 year old cat has patches of fur "missing" (it looks and feels as if it has been shaved), in random spots (her l

There are no irritations that I have seen on any of these places, and they don't seem to bother her at all. Hair isn't falling out like mange.

Asked by Artemis on Jun 1st 2011 Tagged fur, shedding, baldpatches in Skin Problems

Answers

Observe her to make sure she isn't pulling out or licking off the fur. It could indicate an allergic reaction to food or something else in her environment, even stress. My dog exhibits signs of stress by constantly licking her forepaws to the point of licking off the fur. In any case, fur loss is not normal and should be reported to her doctor. I'd start with a phone call to the vet clinic, and if they want to see her, take her in. It's always a good idea to have this sort of thing checked out in the event that it could be something like ringworm which is highly contagious to other animals and to people.