My 15 yr old cats T4 bloodwork came back and the vet is concerned. His T4 went from 6.5 to 9.8.

My vet is concerned. She doesn't think he's got a lot of time left. I'm confused because he still eats and drinks, (not a lot at a time) and still likes to play occassionally. I was given 3 options if he starts to vomit again. Injection, surgery or the worst. I cannot put him back on medications. I had to take him off of it due to excessive vomiting. Where do I go from here?

Asked by Member 997725 on Jul 24th 2010 in Medications

Answers

Freckles (1993-2011)

You should try to find a new vet, ideally one that specialises in cats and is more familiar with all the options for treating hyperthyroid. If the thyroid meds cause vomiting, sometimes stopping and starting again at a low dose and gradually increasing to the higher dose will work. You can also get the meds made into a transdermal gel at a compounding pharmacy or your vets. This form of the meds usually causes no vomiting as it is absorbed directly into the blood stream and you just have to rub it on the inside of their ear. If your cat's kidney values are OK when his T4 values are in the normal range again then the best long term option is to get radioactive I131 treatment which is much safer than the surgery and can give a permanent cure.

In Olde Furts a group for cats aged 10+ we have a discussion thread with lots of info on hyperthyroid www.catster.com . You can read it and if you want to ask questions you can request to join Olde Furts

Freckles (1993-2011) answered on 7/25/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

The last poster gives good advice. Hyperthyroidism is common in older cats. Once a cat is diagnosed with a thyroid problem, it needs to be on medication for life (just like a human). I advise you to seek advice from another vet as well. Your cat may still have some time left if given the right medication and treatment. All the best.

I want to say one word. Radiocat. Radiocat. Radiocat! Both of my fifteen year old year cats have been treated at Radiocat. Read about them online. It is the greatest treatment for cats with high T4 s and hyperthyroidism. If you love your cat and it is otherwise healthy( bloodwork will help confirm ) , spend the $1000.for the radioactive iodine injection. You will not ever regret having this done. Your cat will get its life back. I don't know where you live but there are several facilities across the country.