Dunya

My 14 year old female spayed DSH smelled like human male sweat after being outside. Could it be the smell of a male cat

Do spayed females still mate with males? She sniffs around the doorframe when she leaves the house. She just started going outside 8 months ago and loves it!

Any thoughts on what may be going on would be appreciated.

Asked by Dunya on Mar 4th 2013 Tagged mating, spayed, female, smells in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Although I have heard of neutered male cats who will mount, mostly to show dominance,I've never heard of a spayed female cat mating. Female cats mate exclusively to procreate. It's the hormones in the female that cause the heats and the desire to mate. Without those, she has neither the desire nor the scent that attracts males to mate with her. Most cats would love to be outside. However, it's not a safe place to be, especially for an elderly cat (your's is 98 in human years)who is new to the outdoors and it's dangers and who may not have the swift reflexes or the ability to get away from a predator. Chances are she is acquiring this odd scent while she is outside. She may be laying in something that is leaving this scent on her, even plants. If she stays in your yard, keep an eye on her to see where she goes. Maybe that way you can tell where she's picking up this scent.

I'm thinking she is either rolling in something nasty, getting into a garage can maybe, or plants?