my 12 yo female cat is leaving wet spots of urine behind wherever she has been laying. anyone know what this could be?

Asked by Member 541714 on Jan 15th 2013 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Whenever there is a sudden change in behavior, Catsters always recommend at least a call to your vet for advice. I can tell you that my Springer Spaniel does the same thing, has all her life, and it's gotten worse since she's aged. (She's 10). It's not uncommon for Senior Citizens, animal or human, to have this problem and it doesn't mean there's anything seriously wrong. If she's ever had kittens, the pregnancy could have weakened the bladder muscles. Or, it could be a Urinary Tract Infection. I deal with this on a daily basis with my dog and I know it can be rather inconvenient. It's probably easier to bathe my dog than it would be your cat, but there is an odor and hygiene issue on her as well as wherever she's napping. Your best course of action is to phone your vet. They can do a urine culture to check for infection. If it's negative, they can suggest medications that may improve her control. I also invested in pet wipes and a foam non-rinse cleanser for my dog.