Aurora

My 11 year old girl cat refuses to poop in the litter box if the lid is on and I can't figure out why?

We got a new litter box similar to this one
goo.gl/3VcEMb but unless we keep the lid off she will only pee in it and not poop in it. It's pretty similar to their old box so I don't know what her deal is.

Asked by Aurora on Dec 9th 2013 in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

Covered sandboxes are for people, not pets. In the wild they cover in dirt outside, so they would not be stuck in a box in the first place, let alone one like a cave with a roof. You have an easy solution- take the lid off. To get a cat comfortable with a hooded box, they have to use it from kittenhood. ^_^

My cat, Tippy, would NEVER use a covered litter box. She needed two boxes - one for each (if you know what I mean). My other cat, Angel, will use a regular litter box, but runs away really quick when she does #2. My husband and I laugh and say "she must have just dropped a bomb". She can't even stand the smell without a cover. So, maybe your cat can't stand the smell either and that's why she refuses to be confined in a covered litter box. Try using two boxes - the covered one and a regular one. You should have no problem then. Good luck!