Pieces

My 10 Year Old Tabby Is Wasting Away.

My little guy, and I DO mean little, is wasting away. He eats, has a good appetite in fact. Loves people food and I give him whatever he wants. He alternately has diarrhea and is constipated and often goes outside his box and I think it's because of that. He pushes so hard sometimes that he walks right out of the box and just keeps going til he "goes". Often that is followed by vomiting of clear liquid/bile. Sometimes he'll get off my lap and head into the other room and just stop and poop. I've taken him to the vet and they said they felt some type of mass so I paid $500+ for an abdominal ultrasound only to have it be completely clear. They said next step would be an intestinal biopsy.
He has a 5/6 heart murmur and weighs about 3 or 4 pounds now I think. He's only 10. His litter mate (sister) is fine except for some teeth issues.
Advice? Comments?
Should I put him thru the biopsy? (not that I have the money). He's my baby - the sweetest lil guy... sigh...

Asked by Pieces on Jan 1st 2013 Tagged weightloss, diarrhea, malnutrition, biopsy in Health & Wellness

Answers

Only you can decide how far you will go and how much you will spend on your baby. I had a friend once who spent $10,000 he didn't have on cancer treatments for his cat. Bottom line is that something is not right with him. It doesn't sound like it's taking care of itself. I'm concerned that your vet said they felt a mass and the ultrasound showed nothing. What was their answer for that? In tough veterinary cases like your's, I wonder if you shouldn't find a speciality or "referral" vet clinic. They don't always tell you what you want to hear, but in 99% of the cases I've seen, they're accurate in their diagnoses. Cats do lose weight when they age and your baby qualifies as a senior, but he is awfully thin. You need to have a heart to heart with your vet and get some answers. Good luck! Sending purrs!

Lover

Sounds like you need to hit the books - vets rarely give nutritional advice which is a mystery. Cats are obligate carnivores and should not be fed people food, but rather a diet suited to their nutritional requirements (non-grain wet food is best). Obviously the cat is suffering digestion problems. I swear by the products on vitalityscience.com - probiotics, Omega-3 and other supplements made to boost a cat's immune system, which starts in the gut. If your cat has gut problems you are opening the door to every other disease. Fix the gut and you'll have your cat for 20 years. Good luck! (Maneki neko!)

Lover answered on 1/2/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

OMG, I'm so impressed by the reply about healing the gut. I just love natural healing and I can spend hours online learning about this topic. Human and animal doctors rarely address why one is ill and will often just address the symptoms through synthetic chemical medications or surgery. Nature knows what she is doing. Your immune system and health is linked to your intestinal terrain. Heal that and the rest will follow. Google intestinal flora. Here are some quick info about holistic remedies for cats: petsadviser.com and www.vetinfo.com I'd also suggest doing a search on probiotics for cats.