My 10 year old cat all of a sudden cannot walk. When he tries his back legs seem to be very weak.

Asked by Member 792178 on Jan 14th 2009 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Mr. Fez (Angel Dreamboat #25)

Your cat needs to be seen by a vet ASAP! Something is very wrong. We are not vets here, and even if we were could not diagnose or advise without seeing your cat. Please call a vet or take him to an emergency clinic.

Mr. Fez (Angel Dreamboat #25) answered on 1/14/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Freckles (1993-2011)

Mr Fez is right. Take him to a vet ASAP. It could be poison or a serious illness and you need to get him checked by a vet before its too late to do anything.

Freckles (1993-2011) answered on 1/14/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Harley

you need to take him to the vet. it could be something as major as partial paralysis caused by age or injury. it could cause serious injury to the back side of the cat because of dragging. it could also be a serious infection in the spinal column.
if you can't afford a vet, many places have dicount services that offer payment plans.

Harley answered on 1/14/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Mr. Fez, Freckles and Harley are right. You need to treat your kitty the same way you would want to be treated if you suddenly couldn't walk. We are all painfully aware that vets are expensive and it's sometimes a hassel to load the kitty up into a carrier, into the car and to the vets. However, if I were ill, I would not ask an Internet site to diagnose and suggest treatment for me; I'd go to a doctor. Many shelters and rescues have vets on board or know of vets who will treat for a reduced cost. Their numbers can be found online or in the phone book. Purrs and prayers for your Senior Citizen.