Moving my cat across country: cargo or pet relocation service?

I am moving across country. I've made a vet appointment for Monday to discuss this with him too but I want some additional input.

The airline will not let me bring my kitty onboard because he's too large to fit in any sort of approved carryon size and I do NOT feel comfortable packing him in with the cargo. Has anyone had to do this? Was it okay checking your pet?

He is microchipped but I am going to be panicking the whole time wondering if he's okay. I have started to look into pet relocation services. Does anyone have any suggestions? Cost isn't important when it comes to my kitty so any ideas, throw them at me!

Asked by Member 1184967 on Aug 10th 2013 Tagged travel, cat, car, air, relocation, acrosscountry, help in Travel & Recreation

Answers

What about driving and staying at pet-friendly hotels? Then you know your cat is safe because she's with you. ^_^