Cow and Bahji

mouse bite

Can my kitty get sick if she's bit my a mouse? I don't know if she's been bitten but she was catching one and I caught it away from her and threw it across the street. I can't really see any bites but who knows with all the fur. Should I be worried? She's had all her vaccinations.


Asked by Cow and Bahji on Aug 28th 2009 Tagged mouse, bite, sick, ilness, vaccination, hurt in Emergencies & First Aid
Report this question Get this question's RSS feed Send this question to a friend



Status

  • This question is closed.

Best Answer

Izadore (Izzie)

The most serious disease a cat can get from vermin is rabies. If they've had their rabies shots, I wouldn't worry. If the mouse had previously ingested rat poison, it can also get into the cat's system. The cat can also pick up fleas from what it catches which can cause worms. It can also get ringworm if the vermin happens to have that. Having said all that, your best defense is a good offense. Keep a close eye on her. If she begins to vomit, act lethargic or otherwise not like herself, have the # of the emergency vet on hand. But 99.9% of the time, the cat is fine.


Izadore (Izzie) answered on Aug 29th.

Other Answers


Answers

Belle

if she's had all her vaccinations, she should be fine. but obviously, if you notice any irrational behavior from your cat, get him/her to a vet right away!


Belle answered on 8/28/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer


Minuit AKA Miss Meany

If bitten your cat may lick the spot, (more than likely one of the front paws or legs) and may do so often. If you do notice this, try to find the possible bite. You'll need to watch for infection, if this happens a vet would be needed for antibiotics.
Mice can carry diseases such as salmonella. Watch for signs your cat isn't feeling well...diarrhea, vomiting, lethargic, etc.
My cat has caught a few mice in her lifetime. Sometimes she brings them to me dead, most times alive and she has always been okay.
Have a good one.




Minuit AKA Miss Meany answered on 8/29/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer


Sassy (2001-2012)

She should be fine. Watch out for bites/infection like the others suggest. Cats who go outside catch lots of mice and rats and rarely get injured so I wouldn't worry.


Sassy (2001-2012) answered on 8/29/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer