Trek

Motivation for non-treat motivated cat

So...Trekkie and I are going to start clicker training so I can try to break him of some of his more annoying habits. Unfortunately, typical treats don't rouse his interest. I give my other cat cats Blue Buffalo Kitty Yums and they are crazy go nuts for the things, but Trek just ignores them--maybe not the best state of affairs when you want to start clicker training. Any advice on on treats I could try?

Asked by Trek on May 6th 2013 in Methods of Training

Answers

It's been my experience that cats usually train US, and I have to say congrats for trying to train your cat rather than just dumping him or physically disciplining him like some people would. Trekkie must like SOMETHING treat-wise. Have you tried a bit of cream cheese on your finger? A thread of canned tuna? My Delilah isn't treat motivated either, but she LOVES bits of cheese or the egg off my sausage biscuit. These are perhaps not the healthiest of treats and certainly shouldn't be a diet staple, but if you can get him to accept some sort of treat during training and performing a wanted behavior, I have to think training would go a lot easier. It will be trial and error until you find some food treat he'll accept during training. Good luck! Let us know how it's going!

Luna Skye

My 2 1/2 yr old kitty was rescued from a hoarders house then was in foster care for 6 mis and has been with us for 4 mis now...she will not eat any kind of treats! I've even bought the freeze dried turkey and chicken that the "Cat whisperer" uses (Jackson Galaxy)... They says used/neglected cats sometimes treats hurt their tummies? Anyways mine was real skid dish when we got her too ...whenever I open a can of tuna she goes nuts....so when I want to train her I would use small bites of tuna! Just a thought. Hope it helps

Luna Skye answered on 5/15/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer