Becky

Meeting my grandma's cat for the first time?

My human is taking me to her mom's (my grandma's) home for the holidays and my grandma has a new cat that i've never met before named Missy. Missy is one of those "better as an only cat" cats and i'm wary of other cats too! Do you have any advice for my human on how to get us to tolerate each other?

Asked by Becky on Dec 12th 2012 in Socialization

Answers

I think your human should leave you at home.

I have to agree with our friend Twinkle. We went to visit relatives over Thanksgiving for 4 days. I put out extra boxes, giant bowls of food and water and my cats were fine. But, if we'd been gone longer I would definitely had someone come to take care of them. Taking Becky with you might be a huge mistake and you might be spending the Holidays breaking up cat fights or listening to Becky's miserable meowing if she's closed off in a room. Taking her to a stranger's for boarding would be just as bad. If you feel this friend is reliable and you aren't expecting any bad weather that might prevent them from coming to your home, I'd leave Becky on her own. I know my cats slept the whole time we were gone. If you feel the friend is not reliable, start interviewing pet sitters now and choose one of them.