Me and my mom are going in for a spay tommorrow. Can you reassure my dad that we won't get sick?

The vet told him that they can't eat the night before the surgery. Trouble is that we have six cats in the house and it is hard to control what any of them eat. Both the mom and the little girl are light eaters.This might not be a problem. It might be with the boys next month, because they are large eaters. Honestly my husband is worried that they are going to get sick if we let them eat beyond the time the vet told us. Is this a legitimate concern? One of our cats did eat before neutering and didn't get sick.

Asked by Member 971242 on Jan 7th 2014 Tagged food, spayingandneutering in Spaying & Neutering

Answers

Ben

The reason that food needs to be restricted before surgery is that the anesthesia can cause vomiting and then the vomit can then be aspirated into the lungs.

If you can keep the kitties who are getting the procedure separated without food, that would be ideal. If you can't separate them, you might need to put away all of the food in the house for the night. The other kitties won't like it, but they'll be fine for one night.

Thank you for spaying and neutering!

Ben answered on 1/8/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I wouldn't advise it; it can cause vomiting. I was given a small rescue dog two days ago, and I have three cats and a kitten. My friend suggested a really neat solution for this. The cat feeding area is going to move to the bar, and I am going to buy a cat tree and a barstool as jumping places up to the bar (or somehow move around what I have). I will tempt them to jump up with cat treats. That way, the dog cannot eat the cat food. You can do it!! :))) ^_^

Why will he get sick? Is he not well?

KING SIR THUNDERFOOT

eating before anesthesia can be dangerous as it can upset the tummy and it is very possible they could vomit before being fully awake and choke to death. if he does eat be sure to tell ur vet so they will know to keep a very close eye on this.

KING SIR THUNDERFOOT answered on 2/27/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer