Mama cat hiding?

I've adopted a mama cat (semi-feral, most likely abandoned after some socialization) and a few of her kittens. She was quite friendly with me during her pregnancy and is still somewhat friendly about once a day, but the rest of the day she seems to hide under a bed.

Is she hiding from her kittens, or from me? (I think she looks out the window when I leave, so at least in the mornings she's not under the bed...) Is this behavior something to worry about? She just started to withdraw in the past few weeks. (Kittens are about 14 weeks, but still nursing a bit.)

Asked by Member 1140346 on Dec 7th 2012 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Batfink

Usually when a cat changes behaviour and especially so when a cat starts hiding they are hiding some illness or injury,Cats often instinctually try to hide pain as it is a sign of weakness and they do not want to appear weak. Best bet is to get her to your vet asap, and take babies too, for a check up, make sure to feed her as much food as she will eat while shes nursing, and offer her plenty of hiding places . Hope she is well.

Batfink answered on 12/7/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Former poster is correct! Mama kitty needs to go to the vet ASAP. She could be ill or suffering from an infection. Cats naturally hide when they are ill because they don't want to be prey to other animals. It's just their instinct to be that way. As for the kittens, at age 14 weeks they are old enough to be weaned and should be eating kitten food (dry or wet). Mama kitty may be undernourished and beat by now from nursing for so long. Still get her to the vet. Hope she's okay. P.S. Get her spayed!!!