male cats won't leave my female cat alone

I will let my female cat out and 10 mins later i will have 2 male cats waiting in the garden.she has been spayed...They dont harm her they just get close to her and make a noise.And one cat sits at my back door waiting for her.can any one help me.......

Asked by Member 796342 on Feb 22nd 2009 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Hmmm, it could be that they are just curious about her. Cats can also make friends, and in the wild they live in "colonies" with other cats. The only medical thing I can think of, is maybe the vet didn't fully remove an ovary during her spay. If even a small piece of ovary is left behind, she will continue to have heat cycles (but not be able to get pregnant because the uterus was removed). Has she been acting unusual? As long as they aren't picking on her, I wouldn't be too worried. BUT, make sure she is fully vaccinated and protected from Feline Leukemia. She could also be at risk for pick up Feline Immunodeficiency Virus from stray cats.

I didn't know about a piece of ovary being left behind, but it sounds valid. However, as to the suggestion about FIV (feline immunodeficiency virus), in case your vet suggests your cat get vaccinated for that. Know that if she does and she is ever picked up by animal control, she will be screened for FIV first thing and any cat vaccinated for FIV will likely show a false positive when tested. If this happens, animal control will assume the cat to be infected with FIV and immediately destroy her.

Being an indoor kitty has been cited as the number one plus for a long life. Try to make Fluffy an indoor cat, if you can. FIV and FeLV are commonly transferred among outdoor cats, but less so if the cats are not having sexual congress. However, cats can transmit other diseases (URIs--upper respiratory infections) very easily (you can even get one at the vet's, or carry it home on your clothes), so nowadays, going outside is not a really good idea. Yet Kitty wants to go out...it's a close call. My advice: keep Fluffy inside. She may be miffed, but she'll be healthy.

Both my females are spayed as well and we had a kitty come visiting last summer. Delilah, an indoor cat, almost went through the screen to get at it. If you are setting food out for the stray/visiting cats, you need to stop. That could be attracting them to your yard. The only way to stop these cats from visiting is to stop letting Fluffy out and when you see the visitors, chase them away. There is a motion-detector spray called "s-s-s-scat" that will spray the back door visitor. As someone who lost her sweet 2 year old kitty on the road last summer, I can attest to the fact that outdoor kitties have short "shelf lives". If you want to make sure her spay surgery was successful, I would take her back to the vet who spayed her and ask for an x-ray or even an ultrasound. If it proves that they "forgot" something, they should perform the second surgery for you at no cost. I can't imagine any other reason the male cats would come "visiting" Fluffy.