Maine Coon kitten shakes head & scratches his ears. No mites. Extremely clean ears. Vet can't find anything. Help?

Asked by Member 976574 on Mar 23rd 2010 Tagged mainecoonears in Worms & Parasites

Answers

This is a classic sign of some sort of infestation in the cat's ears, but if the vet did an extensive exam of his ear canals and didn't find any signs of mites, then it could possibly be allergies. Most vets, even when they can't find any sign of infestation will still have you use Frontline Topspot, a flea/tick preventative for felines. They may also prescribe an antihistamine to cut down on the itching. Bottom line is, if your kitty is still digging at his ears after you've had him to the vets. you need to go back and tell them that he's still miserable and some further exams need to be done to find out what it is.

Harvey

Getting a second opinion is never a bad idea. I rotate among three vets, all of whom have different approaches. Shaking of the head and scratching the ears is not normal behavior for a cat. I am a Maine Coon breeder and know from experience. Go back to your present vet or find another one. Don't be surprised if you get a different opinion. I had to go to eight vets before Harvey's gum problems were resolved. Good luck and purrs.

Harvey answered on 3/23/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

BooKitty a.k.a. SweetPea

Itchy cat ears! My beloved Boo had 'neeked' ears from scratching so much - until I figured it out...
Kitties ear hair grows to the point where it actually tickles the inside of their own ear.
Just like cats due(sp?) claws continue to grow, (and need to be checked - as well as back claws on older kitties).... I call it "old man ear hair" for the older guys I have been owned by...

Deb.trying to find info for kitty de-wormers after finding one at bedtime - ickkkk

BooKitty a.k.a. SweetPea answered on 10/23/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer