"Love bites"

I give my mommy "love bites". They don't hurt at all and I'm purring and snuggling and VERY VERY happy when I do it. Why do I do this and what does it mean? I don't do it to anyone else.

Asked by Member 829456 on May 22nd 2009 Tagged lovebites, lovenips in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

This is a form of affection. Many cats give what I call "love bites" to show that they are happy and playful. It's hard to break a cat of doing this because it's almost instinctive.It's easier to break a kitten of love biting than an older cat. However, there are a few things you can try that might help a little. Persistence, patience and positive reinforcement can often work wonders.
When he bites, put him down immediately, say "no" and walk away. Do not give him any other attention. Do this every single time he bites. Do not yank your hand away when he lays his teeth on you. This can actually make the bite feel worse. The cat can also see this as a sign that you're ready to play rough. Wait until he loosens his bite and then tell him no and walk away. Many cats have a low tolerance to stroking and petting and biting is a form of overexcitement. Watch for signs he is about to bite and stop petting him.