Guest

Liver level was too high.

My 11 year old cat has always had a sensitive stomach. We recently switched her to Royal Canin HP since our other cat eats that food and to save money. Lily started vomiting 2-3 times a week. Our vet said her thyroid felt enlarged. Tests were run, with her thyroid being 5.3. It was a little elevated. Kidneys and liver were normal. She was prescribed Methimozole, 5 mg once a day. She continued to vomit 2-3 times a week, but seemed to level out and stop. Once she had her pill she became tired, hiding and would not eat the next meal. We took her back to vet, more blood work. Just found out thyroid is 1.7 (good level), kidneys are good, but liver is through the roof. ASI is 319 and ALI is 1,000. Vet said stop medication immediately. She wants to do an ultrasound on liver asap. Has anyone dealt with this before and have any advice? Any help would be appreciated.


Asked by Member 1174710 on Jun 10th 2013 Tagged liver, thyroid in Health & Wellness
Report this question Get this question's RSS feed Send this question to a friend



Status

  • Cast your vote for which answer you think is best!


Answers

Pookie Face (in memory)

Hi, prescription food is VERY expensive and high-protein food is NOT good for a sensitive senior. Try Nutro's Max Cat Senior with oatmeal for digestion. There are wet cans too and I would give her 1/3 of a can a day separately (not mixed) to make sure she keeps up her water intake, which is very improtant for the liver. Next, make sure that your water bowl is big, clean and full. Finally, if she eats treats, Greenies Smart Bites came out with a salmon digestive variety with coconut fiber for aiding digestion. ^_^


Pookie Face (in memory) answered on 7/15/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer


More Questions in This Category