life expectancy for indoor cat?

I have a long hair domestic indoor cat who is 16 yrs. old and in good health. How much longer do statistics show I'll be able to have my wonderful companion in my life?

Asked by Member 804113 on Feb 13th 2009 in Senior Pet

Answers

Mr. Fez (Angel Dreamboat #25)

Well, the average life expectancy for an indoor cat is usually considered 12-15 years. Of course it is not unusual for a cat to live into their late teens and even 20's is not unheard of - especially if they are well cared for. Genetics also plays a role. Some breeds (such as Siamese) are known for being exceptionally long-lived. Genetics can work against you too though - My Rainbow Bridge cat Moose died very suddenly at age 7 of HCM (hypertrophic cardiomyopathy). Bottom line - just love your cat and enjoy the time you have together.

Mr. Fez (Angel Dreamboat #25) answered on 2/13/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Minxy (1987-2008)

My 3 cats that have passed away made it to 18, 19 and 21 so you've probably got a good few years left with your cat.

I think the key with older cats is to have twice yearly check ups/blood and urine tests with your vet and go to a cat specialist vet. That way you catch anything like hyperthyroidism early on when its easy to treat and hasn't caused major damage to their other organs.

Minxy (1987-2008) answered on 2/13/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Good advice from the other posters. I just want to commend you for making your kitty an indoor cat--that's the single most important factor in prolonging a cat's life. Good for you! I certainly agree that your cat should be getting wellness checks with your vet--and I hope you have a good vet who you can trust and who will work with you if/when your cat has health problems. (I lost a cat when she was 15 becuse my vet recognized that she had kidney problems, but didn't treat them!) I'm not a vet, but in my experience, older cats tend to die of kidney disease, diabetes, liver problems, or just old age--not necessarily in that order. All of these are easy to diagnose (except maybe old age...) and have treatment options. Bottom line: have a good working relationship with a smart vet you can trust. I'll bet that you've got quite a few more years to share with your kitty. Enjoy!

I've read they will live till 15-18yrs old. They will always out-live dogs! But i've seen alot longer like 20+. mine is 17yrs old (had him since i was 4yrs and im 21) . Always enjoy your time with your friend. And dont get a new one until your FULLY ready! remember thats how the shelters get filled!

Ive heard of indoor cats living into their early 30s! Its uncommon but does happen!