Leaving cat for 4 weeks

I have to go away for 4 weeks and leave my 8 month old Angora cat alone. Some one will visit her twice a day to feed her and play with her for a little. What can I do or prepare to make it easier on her being alone for most of the time? She is very sociable and loves attention and I'm worried about leaving her but have no choice.

Asked by Member 782588 on Dec 23rd 2008 in Lodging

Answers

Desmond Clyde

Well that is one MORE great thing about cats. You can go away for a bit, as long as they have fresh water and food she'll be fine. Although you will probably get a bit of the cold shoulder upon return, temporarily of course. Do you have an answering machine? You can call and give her reassuring messages or if you have some sort of voice recorder whoever is caring for her can play it while they are there, although you might not be able to look your friend in the face again. I saw the coolest new thing they have on the market, It's a pet web-camera so you can see your pet while you are away. I believe they started out having them at doggie day cares so owners can look on-line and see how/what their pet is doing. Great idea right? It's a bit much for one cat I think. But an option. I would definitely leave my favorite sweater or comfy shirt you often wear in her favorite sleeping spot, so your scent will be comforting. I'm sure she will be fine, good luck!

Desmond Clyde "Dizzy" answered on 12/23/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Dizzy's answer is good. Also it would be better if she knows the person that will be looking after her. If she already does that great but if not you should get them to come round to meet her and play with her before you leave.

Levi

Leave her her favorite treats and have your cat keeper play with her.

Levi answered on 12/27/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Stormy Cloudy Day

Great question! Here's what you can do to make it easier on kitty while you're away. You'll want to either leave a radio on with music, cats hate silence as well as dogs. It's comforting to them to hear outside noise. Or you can leave the TV on to animal planet. Make sure you have enough catnip filled toys, something for kitty to scratch on other than you furniture, and provide access to a sunny window by installing a window perch. Be sure that your cat sitter knows what you want for your cat.

Stormy Cloudy Day answered on 11/21/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer