Last year I adopted 2 cats and I need help with them!

Last year I adopted 2 cats. I adopted an eight year old girl first and then two months later a year old male. They are both neutered and live in doors in an apartment I share with my boyfriend. In the beginning they would play and chase eachother around but the male was maybe a bit too rough with her. He started chasing her out of the litter box. We got another litter box and that fixed the problem but now she is terrified of him. She sleeps on top of the kitchen cabinets. I put a cat bed for her there but I am worried she isn't happy. I bring her into the room at night to sleep with me and she has no problem coming down to eat and eating next to him. She will even smack him on the head if he starts to annoy her. However after that the second he starts moving around she runs away.

Any ideas? I really just want her to be happy but I love them both.

Asked by Member 1167774 on Apr 29th 2013 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Wiggles

Have your female vet checked to make sure she doesn't have any medical issues. Something happened that changed the situation between the two cats and it's possible your female has an underlying medical condition. It's possible that activity such as chasing and playing is now causing her pain. If your female cat's problems are mental not physical, there are medications your vet can prescribe to help her. You might try a product called Feliway too, many people claim it really works to calm their cats and help positively lessen or stop a number of behavior problems.

Wiggles answered on 5/5/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

It seems like there's a little bullying going on here on the part of both your cats. The female provokes the male, but when he retaliates, she takes off literally for higher ground. Don't assume the female isn't happy. If she is eating and using the box, she may simply have accepted that the male will always be a pain in her you know what. However, don't tolerate the male bullying the female. She was there first and she's older and deserves his respect. By bopping him, she's letting him know that. By sharing your bed, you may be upsetting the male by forcing him to realize he has to share you. Involve your BF in the care/feeding/cuddles of the cats if he isn't already. The male may bond with him and be more congenial about sharing you. I have to say that even though Izzie outweighs Lizzie by at least 10 lbs., she keeps him in line. He chases her, but that's just his personality. As long as there is no real "fighting" between the 2, you may have to accept their behavior.