Clarence

Kitty virus suggestions?!

Our new kitten brought the dreaded kitty virus to our cat Clarence. They have been treated 3 times for it since November. I am at my wits end with it! Every time they get off the antibiotics it comes back. I am calling the vet to bring Clarence in for the fourth time. I was just wanting to know if there are other treatments for this?!

Asked by Clarence on Jan 25th 2012 in FIV (Feline Immunodeficiency Virus)

Answers

What "kitty virus" are you referring to? There are many viruses that cats can get. Antibiotics are not used to treat viruses. Viruses have to run their course. Antibiotics may be used in certain cases in order to avoid complications from the virus. I really think you need to get both cats to the vet and find out what virus they are being treated for and get them treated together. I hope they get better and recover quickly!

Guest is right. "Virus" could mean anything from an upper respiratory infection to Coronavirus. If it's an upper respiratory infection and your cats are wheezing, sneezing, noses dripping and chances are off their feed, it does take a while to clear up. Make sure they get ALL their doses of their meds. There are stronger meds for this out there. Basically, you need to chat with your vet and tell them what you've told us. 4 times is a lot of return visits. If you are doing everything they've told you for this and the infection persists, further testing may be necesaary on the new kitten. Be polite but firm with your vet. Also, you might want to try getting an inexpensive humidifier for your home and leaving it on wherever your kitties sleep.