Heely

Kitty Adopted a Toy - Is It Safe?

My mother gave me an easter basket this year with a TY beanie bunny in it named "Carrots."

I took the basket to my work-week home with my room mates still wrapped up in the cellophane.
Normally, I can do things like this with no trouble but Heely kept batting at the cellophane trying to get into the basket.
She is a curious cat but Heely usually doesn't do this.
And better yet, when I opened the cellophane to get into my candy, Heely reached right i and pulled Carrots out by the ears on her own!

After observing this, I realized that the side of the basket with the beanie bunny was the side Heely kept batting at before.

Heely hugged and snuggled and chewed on and batted the bunny all over the place before I got to her and it was so cute!

I want to let her play with Carrots because she chose this as her toy but I don't know if it's made of a pet-safe material!

I also don't want her to go after my other stuffed animals!

What should I do?

Asked by Heely on Jul 7th 2011 in Toys

Answers

I believe that "Beanie Babies" are called such because they are stuffed with beans. If Heely makes a hole in one, you'll have a big mess. If Heely is not spayed, you may want to do this ASAP as she may be exhibiting signs of going into heat and is treating this (and possibly other) toy as a kitten. Keep an eye on this toy. If it has attached, small plastic parts such as eye or a nose or anything else that Heely could choke on, take it away and throw it out. If you have a lot of stuffed animals on display, you may also want to put those away since chances are that some probably have pieces she could choke on or swallow.. The "big box" pet stores carry stuffed animals for pets that are pet safe. You might want to get her one of those and praise her like crazy when she attaches herself to the "OK" one instead of your's.

Cali

We've let kittens play with beanie babies before- they make good wrestling partner substitutes for kittens that want to wrestle hands! They do have small plastic decorations on them which may pose a hazard but those are usually pretty securely attached. They are stuffed with little plastic pellets which will certainly make a mess if she managed to rip one open or split a seam. We've never seen that happen but we do check for any damage. If a nose or an eye starts getting loose rip it off and sew up the hole. If a seam starts to fall apart we'd open it up, dump all the pellets into the garbage, and re-stuff it with catnip or catnip pellets. Chances are whatever interest she lost from it having a different texture would be made up for by the addition of catnip, and it's totally safe for her if it breaks again. A beanie is probably smaller and of a different texture than most of your stuffed animals so hopefully she won't be interested in them.

Cali answered on 7/8/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer