Kitten with a URI...Duration? Warning signs to go back to vet?

I got my little kitten about a month ago. She was sneezing dry sneezes when I got her (vet was aware of this during the first round of shots). A week or so later, the sneezes turned "wet" and I took her back to the vet.

They said she was running a fever, seemed a TINY bit dehydrated, and her nose was running. They gave her fluid injections, and gave me amoxicillin for her.

Now its been a few days and I feel like her cold is just getting worse. Her nose is chapped and bleeding, she is stuffed up so I can hear her breathing (but no open mouth breathing). She still drinks, eats, and plays like nothing is wrong though.

FINALLY my question. Should I take her back to the vet? How long do URI's last?

Asked by Member 1072728 on Dec 3rd 2011 Tagged uri, kitten, respiratory, chapped, nose in Health & Wellness

Answers

An upper respiratory infection (uri) is a fancy term for a cat cold. However, in the case of a kitten, it's better to err on the side of caution. URI's are one of the biggest killers of kittens. One can wipe out a litter in a week or so. As the uri progresses, the kitten can no longer smell it's food and stops eating/drinking. If she is still so stuffy, she may need other meds. I would not wait and call the vet back today. Since they've already seen her, they may just prescribe something that you can pick up there.

Yes, she needs to go back to the vet. URI's can be difficult to treat in kittens as their immune system is not fully developed til maturity. Kittens can dehydrate and decline quickly. My angel cat, Mr. Fez had a severe URI as a kitten. I had to take him in to my vet several times. His URI was so severe, my vet had to put him on two different antibiotics and lysine paste all at once! It took a long time, but we were able to get him healthy. Take her back to your vet, and call them with updates and any concerns. A good veterinary facility wants to know how their patients are doing, will appreciate the updates, and will want to work closely with you to get your kitten well. Canned food mixed with a little water and warmed up slightly in the microwave would be good. Cats don't like to eat if they can't smell. How long to URI's last? Hard to say. Depends on the bug and the cat.