Kitten meows nonstop when we shut the door behind us

Whether one of us is leaving the apartment to go to work or just going into the kitchen to get a glass of water, our 3-6 month old kitten meows absolutely NONSTOP until we open the door or come home. We don't want her in the kitchen or bathroom for health and safety reasons but she always tries to follow us in there, then it's a race to shut the door before she sneaks in, and then we have to listen to her pawing at the door and crying like she's being stepped on until we come back out. It's really becoming a problem not just because of the inconvenience but because you can hear the meowing around the other side of the building and im afraid she may be irritating the neighbors too. We need to go out and do things but I feel really bad leaving her alone for any amount of time because I know she will be meowing until she falls asleep or we come back. Help!?

Asked by Member 1196856 on Oct 30th 2013 Tagged doors, meowing, crying, attention, separationanxiety in Behavior & Training

Answers

Try calming pheromone diffusers, a baby gate for a bedroom, calming spray, changing feeding times so she will be sleepy by the time you leave, etc. The best thing to do would be to get her a friend so she does not have to be lonely. You can not reinforce this behavior or it will not stop, and it sounds like this has already occurred. Did you post similarly before because I believe that I remember this question. There is no quick fix... what have you done to help remediate the situation? How loud can one kitten howl? Can you get a home monitoring system and watch to see what she is doing... she probably sleeps all day... ^_^