kitten food aggression?

I have two female 6 week old kittens. The one has become aggressive with food. She growls at me and the other kitten when we are close to her while eating. She has even scratched my hand during feeding. Any tips on how to break this behavior?

Asked by Member 1161810 on Mar 29th 2013 in Aggression

Answers

If you don't know what this baby's history is, chances are she had to fight for food. Try adding a bit more to each meal, so your cat has more of an opportunity to feel full or even start free feeding so food won't be such as issue with her. I realize you may be worried about weight gain, and I'm not asking you to let her gorge, just give her more food so she feels more secure. As for the biting, you have to assume the role of a mother cat. Keep a water bottle within reach, and when she begins to show signs of getting ready to nip, give her a firm "no". Then stop giving her any attention. If she tries to bite you, give her a very loud "NO" and squirt her in the face once with the water bottle. This isn't harmful, but it should give her a good startling. It can be the equivalent of what mother cat would have done to correct the over aggression. Do not feed the kittens together. Competition and protectiveness cause aggressive behavior. Separate bowls and even separate rooms if need be.