Kitten Death - Why?

I found a kitten a mother abandoned and it passed within a week.
I am looking for answers on why it may have died.
It was starving because the mother left it.
It would eat wet food and dry food, I had to use a syringe to give it the kittens replacement milk and water.
No fleas.
Vet told me how to deworm it with medication they gave me and I did so.
It had diarrhea up until the last two days to where it turned more into the consistency of wet food.
The last day the kitten was fine and was showing sign of improvement, the amount of food it was eating was more, the way it was walking was better, the meows were more.
At its 11pm feeding everything was fine. After cleaning everything and putting it all away it was almost midnight. I went by the holding area we had her in and she had just finished using the litter and she just collapsed.
From Midnight to 2:30am I sat with her till she passed.
She stopped meowing, her mouth would open but nothing came out. She began to have a hard time breathing, almost a gurgle noise when she began breathing. The last 30 mins he mouth opened and her tongue was out a little. Her eyes weren't closing anymore she was just wanting to lay there. She began stretching her legs out and they would lock in place. I was rubbing her constantly trying to keep her with us. The very last 10 minuets her head began moving sporadically in jerks every 10 seconds or so, until she faded.

Can someone help me figure out why this little one passed? Please.

Asked by Member 1184641 on Aug 8th 2013 Tagged kitten, death in Kittens

Answers

Rayna

Nds like she had an overlooked illness or got into something.

Rayna answered on 9/3/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

The reason mother cats abandon their young is because they know that something is wrong with them and they won't be able to survive in the wild. Whether from disease or genetics, there was something wrong with this little one that you could not fix. You will not find out what it is either unless you pay for an autopsy. I have a "slow" kitty who was abandoned by her mother at 2 1/2 weeks. ^_^ You did a good thing, no doubt about it!!