Saint Nick

Is this the end?

Nick's mommy here. I have never dealt with an elderly/ dying pet before Nick. I have asked friends who have been through this before what to look for when it is time. He is not really moving much. He hasn't used his litter box since Thursday evening. He is just laying down. Not sleeping just kind of staring off into space. If call his name, he will raise his head but he won't really look at me or my husband. Yesterday he was meowing at me, but it wasn't his regular meow. It more like a kitten mewling. Now he is not even doing that. He will eat if I offer him food but he won't eat on his own. Same with water. Right now he is just laying on the floor in the corner by my bed staring at the floor.

We have an appointment at the vet's in the morning, but I need to know if he is dying so I can prepare myself to say goodbye. I don't know for sure because he has had these episodes in the past and after a few days he would be himself again.

Asked by Saint Nick on Jul 14th 2012 in Loss of a Pet

Answers

I am very sorry to say that Nick may be standing on his last legs. My wonderful cat, Sabrina, that I've had since I was a baby, died recently of a mouth tumor at age 14. I refused to think that she was really dying, I forced myself to think that it was just an abcessesd tooth. She got very frail and bearly ate or drank. On the day I took her to the vet, she was hiding in the closet, loking very confused. When I took her to the vet, they said the only fair thing to do was put her down, and just like that she was gone. I was very, very sad, but I recieved support and felt happy at all our good memories, what a full life she had led, and the fact that she was no longer in pain. There's no telling if your kitty, Nick, is dying. If you do have to say goodbye, remember all the good, happy memories and know that your cat had a good life. At first I thought puting a cat to sleep was a cruel thing to do, but really, it is a brave act of love. Best wishes to you.

Shi

I'm so sorry for what you are going through with Nick. It does unfortunately sound like he is sick. My dear kitty, Mysti, just laid down on the floor and wouldn't really move unless I picked her up. She wouldn't eat or drink, which she loved to do, and had that far-away stare too. I brought her to the vet the next day and an x-ray showed a very large tumor in her stomach area, which wasn't there 3 months ago. I did the hardest thing in my life, which was to put her to sleep, since surgery would only bring pain and most likely the cancer would just grow somewhere else just as fast, so her quality of life would not be great.

If the vet does give you the bad news about Nick, know that our hearts go out to you, and there are lots of people in the Catster community that will share your grief and can help you cope. I know they really helped me through the worst time of my life when I lost my kitty girl.

Shi answered on 7/17/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer