Christina

Is there anything on the market that will help with ear mites?

Help!!! Our mother does not have the money to take us to the vet but we have ear mites and we scratch all the time because of it. We would like to know what is good to get rid of the ear mites without going to the vet. Anything will help.

Asked by Christina on Mar 11th 2010 in Products & Tools

Best Answer

If you're positive it's ear mites, then you may want to try getting an ear blub syringe and squirting some mineral oil into the cat's ears. DO NOT poke anything like a Q-tip down into the cat's ears! Let the cat shake the oil (and hopefully most of the mites) out. If you turn their ears out, you can gently and carefully use a cotton ball or a warm, wet cloth and wipe away as much of the 'crusties" as you can safely do without sticking anything down inside their ears. If it is a bad infestation, you may need to take them to the vet. Many shelters provide free or reduced cost vet care, which our kitties need to stay healthy and be with us for a very long time.

Izadore (Izzie) answered on Mar 11th.

Answers

The stuff the vet gives you (we had Milbemite) works right away and works great. The stuff you can buy at places like Petsmart for mites has a very dangerous chemical in it and using too much can actally kill you cat. (pyrethrins) I had bought some once because my vet was closed on the weekends and I wanted to give them relief before I could get to the vet. When I smelled the stuff in the bottle I got scared and would not use it on my babies. I brought it to show my vet and he said that if I had used as much as the label said, it could have killed Bailey who is only 6 pounds. But ear mites MUST be treated or they can lead to infection and even deafness. Part of my Kira's problems that led to $2000 and a very serious surgery began with a case of ear mites she got at her breeder's house. I did not know until everybody got them and Kira had a serious infection.

Bugsy

If you already have a vet call him/her and tell him the situation. If your vet is any good, he will give you the medication without a visit. He may give you a discounted visit or on credit or a payment plan. Your kitties need this taken care of, if not treated it could lead to deafness and more serious issues. Good luck and I hope.

Bugsy answered on 3/11/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Oliver

www.westcoastpetsupply.com
This is what I have used in the past for a barn cat that had that problem. Worked right away to. Its awesome stuff and better then the stuff I got from the vet. I bought this at our local pet store. I would though when you can afford it still go to the vet just to make sure all is good.

Oliver answered on 3/12/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer