Is my Kitten to fat?

I saved a kitten at the time she was 3 weeks old. At the time of me getting her she was nothing but skin and bones, I took her to the vet and she gave me dewormer and so forth. Now she is 6 weeks old and she is getting a pretty good belly on her. I am not sure if that is normal or if I am doing something wrong.

Asked by Member 1131755 on Sep 20th 2012 Tagged food in Kittens

Answers

Kittens, like puppies, should have a little tummy. I don't think you're doing anything wrong, unless the two of you stop at a fast food joint every night and pig out. She should be eating kitten food of good quality. If she eats and then frantically searches for more, you might want to consult with your vet. Sometimes a round little tummy can indicate worms or parasites and it might not be a bad idea to take a stool sample in just to make sure she hasn't been reinfested or still infested. Your vet can advise you on what will eventually be a good weight for her and how to adjust her diet accordingly. Just a suggestion, when I take my animals to the vet, I always take along a pencil/paper with my questions on it to them and then write down their answers.

I woud take her to get dewormed, that may cause the pot belly, also if she just ate that may cause it too. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Kittens will eat what they need, its when they are older is when you should worry about excess weight gain. You can also ask the vet when you go, they should weigh her.