Liberty (R.I.P. my big guy)

Is my cat getting ready to die?

About a year after Liberty died I got another cat, a 15-year-old tabby. She's been extremely healthy until recently but for nearly a week now she's been listless and disoriented, and she keeps trying to crawl into tiny unreachable spaces. She also can't make it down from the furniture anymore. She half-jumps, half-falls. It's freaking me out.
A vet checkup revealed nothing wrong physically. Her heart and blood pressure are fine. And of course, being a cat, she's refusing to take her medicine. Any advice?

Asked by Liberty (R.I.P. my big guy) on Mar 8th 2011 Tagged listless, disoriented in Senior Pet

Answers

If the vet gave her medicine, you must find a way to get it into her. She's acting like an animal in pain and not necessarily one "getting ready to die". Animals in pain try to hide. It's possible her uncoordinated behavior is due to an ear infection and that's why you need to get her medication into her. Even though she's already been to the vet, she needs to go back for further testing/examination. Tell the vet everything she's doing to give them an idea of what to look for. Good luck and let us know how she's doing. Purrs for her fast recovery!

Baltster 1990 ~ 2011

Sounds like they could be in pain. It does sound strange. If you can get your Tabby to join Catster, I sent you a link to a group for old kitties. You can ask them there as many have older cats some have even got to the age of 23. Is something scaring them? Good luck

Baltster 1990 ~ 2011 answered on 3/8/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I know how horrible and helpless you feel. I've been there. What meds did the doctor give you? Did you have blood tests done? Did you have an ultrasound? Is she eating and drinking? If so, is she drinking LOTS of water? I had a kitty who died of kidney failure, and a few days before she passed away, she demonstrated some of the symptoms you're describing. I'd advise you to go to the Health Forum, if you haven't already, where you can have an extended consultation with other Catsters. And if all your vet did was check her blood pressure and heart, I'd consider getting a second opinion. Purrs.

Chibi answered on 3/8/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer