Is my cat allergic to catnipplant? Bald spots itchy since we got it and its on the window hes always on. Not rngwrm/flea

Took him to vets about diarrhoea and also showed him the first bald patch he developed. Vet checked for ringworm negative. Doesnt have fleas as had treattment and wears a flea collar. More patches have developed that start off small and get bigger from him licking and then minor sore from him gnawing at them. Worked out he started getting them around the same time the plant was bought. Hes an indoor cat and he sits on the window sill where the plant is.

Asked by Member 1108999 on May 3rd 2012 in Allergies

Answers

I've never heard of a cat being allergic to catnip, but anything is possible. If you don't want to throw the plant out, plant it outside. I would also remove the flea collar. I had a dog once who was very allergic to them. Use a flea med you get from the vet's even though there are a million "new" ones on the market this year. The irritated skin is obviously annoying him, and it sounds like it's getting worse. I'd call the vet and tell them that he still has this condition and what do they suggest. Just b/c they did a ringworm test and it came back negative doesn't mean he shouldn't be diagnosed and treated for what he does have.

Nika

Even if he isn't allergic to the catnip, he might be allergic to the container it is in, or a cleaner residue left on the window. If he is laying on a bed of some type, it might be the fabric or the detergent (if you've washed it).

Nika answered on 5/15/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer