Yogi

Is my cat a Maine Coon or part Maine Coon?

Check my profile, I posted 5 pics of Yogi. My wife and I adopted him last August. In less than a year and a half he is already 16 lbs and many physical and personality traits mimic those of what I have read about the main coon breed. Can anyone help me out here?

Asked by Yogi on Nov 24th 2008 in Breeds

Answers

I have a guy Simon who is black and white, same characteristics.... looks like one. Rescued and wild when I got him. Now 14lbs.

I love my guy and we have just been through really rough times.

My cat has FLUTD, and almost died.

Apparently Maine Coons are prone to this, I saw yours loves dry cat food, please, ask your vet but I would add a little wet in his diet and no scraps... high grade food. But WET is so important. Also they are prone to heart defects... mine has a murmur. Check into this as well, just to be ahead of the game.

Through my cat's illness I have learned even more about feline care.... read up.... make changes now for the health of your pet : ) He is great.

Many American cats show Maine Coon characteristics, since the Maine Coon is America's indigenous cat. However, there is a difference between a Maine Coon mix and a pedigreed Maine Coon. I doubt that you found a purebred Maine Coon at a cat rescue. The set of Yogi's ears, his almond-shaped eyes, square muzzle, and BIG feet, not to mention his bushy tail, point to Maine Coon blood. His weight is also a clue, but not all MCs are heavy (my male is only 13 pounds). However, his face shape is perhaps closer to that of a regular domestic medium/long hair cat. I'd call him a Maine Coon mix. Playing with water and trilling rather than meowing are MC traits, but breeds are determined more by physical characteristics than behavior. The only Maine Coons who can be formally called by that name are ones with pedigrees, but there is a fine line between their characteristics and those of non-pedigreed cats like Yogi. Anyway, he's a handsome boy, and you're lucky to have him!

I'd say he's probably part MC. He's got that gorgeous fluffy MC tail. He's a beautiful boy!

Sorrel

Ok sorry to say but i looked on your profile and looked at all the pics of yogi and i have a pure breed Maine coon and all of the characteristics don't add up he dosent have a very long torso and his head isn't very rectangular I would have to say he is only mix Maine coon sorry :)

Sorrel answered on 5/31/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer