Lovey

is kitty pink eye contagious to humans?

I just took my kitty to the vet today, she had a fever of 103.4 and I was told she has conjuctivitis. Me like an idiot didn't ask the doctor if it was contagious to humans. Can you help?

Asked by Lovey on Apr 8th 2008 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Conjunctivitis is not an "air-borne" virus.It can't be spread like a cold through the air by sneezing or coughing. If it IS a "trans-species" disease, and you could get it from her,you'd have to touch her eye and then touch your own. This isn't a good idea no matter WHAT an animal's illness is. When you medicate her, always wash your hands thoroughly with anti-bacterial soap before you touch anyone or anything else. Keep anything that touches her eye separate and clean. If you have kids, don't let them handle her until you get the 'all-clear' from your vet and try to keep your other animals, if you have any, away from her. Hope she feels better soon!

Spike

Can you call back the vet and get some advice by phone? A kitty with a fever accompanying an eye infection is pretty sick. I hope you got the right diagnosis and the right meds. Eye infections in cats can be caused by a number of things, and I have a sneaking feeling that some of them could infect humans, too (which is why you need to wash your hands with antibacterial soap after handling your cat. And keep your fingers out of your eyes!). Years ago, when my Meowmy shared a flat with one cat and one human being, all three of them came down with conjunctivitis at the same time. Both vet and eye doctor denied any possible connection, but I mean, really! However, this is just advice from a cat. Consult your vet! (By the way, I just got over a yucky case of conjunctivitis, and no one else here caught it.)

Spike answered on 4/9/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer