Toro

Is it possible to train a 6 year old cat to scratch on device instead of carpet? I can't seem to break him of it.

Toro used a scratching post just a few times but much prefers the carpet. Its' getting so bad the carpet has all these pulls coming up. I even bought that new thing you see on TV, Emery cat thats' like an emery board, that sits on the carpet, thinking since it's on the floor instead of a post, it's at least in the position he likes to scratch in, but he just looks at me like I'm crazy when I put his claws on it and try to push them out to show him he can scratch there. He didn't have training on this, I got him from a pound when he was a year old. Is it just too late to ever break him of this? At least he doesn't scratch up furniture.

Asked by Toro on Aug 20th 2010 Tagged scratching, carpet, wontusescratchingpost, emerycatscratcher, wontlistenwhenitellhimno in Scratching

Answers

Izzie scratches on carpeting, too, and has made a nice long rip in the carpeting in our dining room. I've been the most successful with the corrugated cardboard scratchers. They say when your cat scratches carpeting, you shouldn't use a carpeted scratching post because that just reinforces the behavior. I bought some catnip spray for Izzie because when I used the dried 'nip, he goes crazy and attacked his sister. The spray doesn't seem to be as strong. When Toro DOES use the scratcher, praise the heck out of him. Btw--Izzie makes an art out of looking at me like I'M crazy!!

I generally say NOT to get cat trees or posts with carpet on them because it just teaches them to like the feel of carpet and they won't know the difference between right and wrong. Carpet is carpet to them...but in your case where he already has that preference, getting him a scratcher made of carpet might help. The cardboard ones are great too if he likes that. Many of mine do not because they were trained since they were babies to use sisal rope scratchers. The emery cat feels funky and mine do not like it so I don't blame Toro on that one. My sister's cats prefer wood so she has to buy cat trees with wooden poles. Sometimes you just have to let them decide and do your best to provide what they prefer. Also providing a "correct" place to scratch in each room where he likes to do it will make it easier for him to learn. It's there when the urge arises. I have them all over the house but I also have 8 cats so it's necessary if I want to keep them behaving.