Georgina and Bianca

Is it okay to kennel my kittens at night?

I just adopted two nine-week-old kittens last week. They're sisters. I love them to death, but they're most active at night - that is, the middle of the night, between about 10 PM and 6 AM! Not good, because I'm keeping them in my bedroom as their "home base" until they get completely litterbox trained, and comfortable being in my home.

Would it be okay for me to put them each into their separate carriers overnight? I try to play with them a LOT between 10 and midnight, but it doesn't tire them out, and I'd like to get some sleep! They like playing in the carriers, and they're not afraid of them. I'm just worried that they'll meow all night from not being in direct contact with each other or with me. They have been sleeping on my bed... that is, the short amount of time when they do sleep!

Asked by Georgina and Bianca on Apr 29th 2008 in Behavior & Training

Best Answer

It's probably not a bad idea to contain your babies at night. It will keep them out of danger while you're sleeping which is their most active time. However, the carriers are probably too small and confined for them to be in for longer than a few hours. Can you invest in or borrow a large cage to put both of them in? Set it up with a litter box, a bed, food/water and some toys. Since their nocturnal activities will probably keep you up even if they are contained, could you keep the cage in another room? You might find that if you start confining them at night, even when they're grown they may seek out the kennel to sleep!

Izadore (Izzie) answered on Apr 30th.

Answers

ZOE

Not a bad idea at all they should be together but maybe instead of crates if you have like a laundry room or an office or extra bedroom put them in there at night with the litterbox and just to be sure put newspaper down to help with the little potty training messes they may have . and in the room still have the crates but just leave the doors open with some blankets inside them to make it a comforting place. if they know it's comforting they maybe more inclined to go to sleep and just make the room a place were the kitties would want to be maybe even some toys I hope all this helps I would love to hear how it goes !! so I will request to be your friend on catster so we can pmail about how it works out best wishes HAYLEY (ZOE'S MOMMY)

ZOE answered on 4/30/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I had to do the same thing with diego and he hated it a first.But as he got older he went in there just to sleep during the day.It was like his safe house.And i would keep them together because when one finaly sleeps the other will to.And during the day keep the door open to the carrier and it might just work like magic....

Tinker Bell 2003-2006

People do it with dogs. I used to let Tinker Bell, as a little kitten, use her kitty crate whenever she wished, so she actually liked it because she could "explore" it and knew that it was a good place. I could pen her up whenever I needed to without any protest from her because of this.
A good way to tire cats out before bedtime? Give them a energetic playtime right before bed. You could put the crate on or next to your bed. That's what I did with Tink's crate.

Tinker Bell 2003-2006 answered on 4/30/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Garfield

It'd probably wouldn't hurt to kennel them at night. What I did for Garfield was I bought a dog crate and put his litterbox on one side of the crate and a bed on the other side.

Garfield answered on 5/1/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer