MissKitty

Is it ok to cut a cats hair?

???

Asked by MissKitty on Jan 19th 2009 Tagged cat, hair in Home Grooming

Answers

You posted previously and asked about a skin condition your cat has. Cutting her fur could make the condition worse. Plus, she looks like a short-haired kitty. Why do you want to cut her fur? It's dangerous to have scissors anywhere around a cat if you don't know what you're doing. You could hurt her seriously. Please take your kitty to the vet.

A cat should NEVER be trimmed with scissors. Way too risky and too easy to do serious harm with scissors. If it is necessary to remove some of her hair, then it should only be done with an electric shaver. Cats are too unpredictable and jumpy to try to even do that without some knowledge of what you are doing. If your vet thinks it is necessary and that it will help with treating her skin condition, then they can do that for you.

Max

Try not to cut your cat`s hair. I never cut my cats hair and look at how pretty he is and he does not go to the groomers, whats the point of taking him to the groomers when cats groom themselves all day long.

Max answered on 1/20/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

It is okay to cut your cat's hair. Just don't cut her wiskers!

NEVER WITH SCISSORS!!! I have a Persian and we got her trimmed down for the summer once but not with scissors with a buzzer or clippers. If you accidently cut the top most layer of skin then you have to clean that area with water twice a day and you have to carefully watch it. I know because I accidentaly did this to my baby Tangie and had to clean it and watch it closely. I eventually got the buzzer and then used that - much easier and Tangie plus my new kitten Maddie are much happier if I have to cut a matted section. If the cat is short hair I would never cut their hair because it's short already. I just cut my Persians hair because it was Summer and cooler for her but I never had her groomed with a full cut again. But never use scissors on a cat or kitten. galed