Jerry

Is it OK to allow our newly adopted cat to roam the house with our other cat while at work?

We adopted another cat on Friday. We tried keeping the new one confined to just one room for the first week or so as they suggested where we adopted him but that just wasn't happening. Our place isn't small exactly but its mostly just one big room and the bathroom. We tried setting the new cat up in the bathroom but he would escape when we opened the door or the other cat would come barging in when we tried to go in. They seem to be getting along quite well. There has been no more hissing just the occasional swat or chase, they have been laying together and sniffing butts rubbing noses etc. I have to go to work for 3 hours today while my fiancee is at school. I'm thinking the best thing to do is to set up the new cat in the bathroom (water food litter box toys etc) while i'm gone but my fiancee says he thinks its fine to let them roam free together. I'm just not sure what the best thing to do is.

Asked by Jerry on Sep 10th 2012 in Bringing Your Pet Home

Answers

Batfink

To me it sound as though your cats are going to get on a bit better now, i can see why you are worried though, if they have settled to a point where they can be in the same space together without a massive fight i personally would think that any differences they have yet to resolve would probably be calmly done from a distance with eye contact and body language, we dont speak cat, but its a really intracate language, and its sometimes best to let them get on with it, but thats not my descision to make, if you dont feel comfortable leaving them alone together yet, then dont, pop new ktty in the bathroom with litter etc,you will be gone during the day when kitty is less active so you should be ok. whatever you decide, hope it goes well good luck

Batfink answered on 9/11/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer