is it normal if a cat farts a lot?

my 5 month old male kitten has been farting a lot but its quiet so the smell just surprises us is it because of his digestion ?

Asked by Member 550643 on Dec 26th 2007 Tagged health in Health & Safety

Answers

Morgana - forever my soul

His digestion might be at fault but it's more likely the food he's being fed. The smell comes from gas produced by bacteria using the food he's not digesting. Gas is a normal by-product of bacteria. Some bacteria are beneficial & normally found in the lower intestines of all mammals. But if the food isn't well suited for each type of mammal, they may not digest it well in which case, other types of bacteria flourish & use it instead.

Grains like wheat, corn, barley, etc aren't well digested by strict carnivores like cats. Cat food companies process the grain to make it more digestible but cats never were meant to eat grains except those found in their prey's stomach.

I'd switch to a good quality (canned) kitten food which is higher in protein. Add a little yoghurt or powder from an acidophilus capsule to his food to reduce the stinky gas-causing bacteria. A simple switch to better food may be all you that's needed.

It's worth getting his stools checked for giardia (parasites) too.

Morgana - forever my soul answered on 12/26/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Lakoda

Meows Guest,

I also had some pretty nasty gas myself. I was famous for silent but deadly - especially when I was laying on Mom's chest. OOPS!

I had taken all my deworming meds, and eat good food. We all eat Fancy Feast here. Meowmy tried switching foods, and I got worse. Imagine that?

Meowmy took me back to the vet and he put me on a course of antibiotics for 10 days. He also gave me some other pills to help get rid of the gas in my system. I had an infection, not wormys and it needed to go away.

It has been 2 months, and no more gas or surprises for Meowmy.

Hope this helps you!

Purrs

Lakoda

Lakoda answered on 12/27/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Duffy

Hi, When Duffy was a baby he had some really bad gas. Probably a nervous little tummy. He was a resuce cat and that might account for some of the initial problems with gas. He's now 6 yrs ols and most of the gas problems has stopped. Might be change in diet or stress. The first time that we met Duffy, my husband sat him in his lap and Duffy farted on him. It will most likely get better but always to have a vet check it out.

Duffy answered on 12/27/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Schmoo

Well, it depends on what you're feeding him, or if he has some gastrointestinal pests like giardia or worms. If you are feeding him a high quality cat food with all the nutrients needed, he should be doing just fine. It may be that he's eating something he shouldn't. Watch to see if he eats things outside or finds human food.

If his stool is normal (dark chocolate brown, about the texture of a soft Tootsie Roll - I know, gross, huh!) then chances are things are fine, and your cat is making gas out of what you're feeding him. A gradual change to a different high quality cat food might do the trick.

If his poop is a light brown, or any other color, get your kitten to the vet, as he is sick and can be fixed up with a round of medication (usually an antibiotic).
I know my cats got gas from wet food. Once we switched to dry, they were just fine.

Schmoo answered on 12/27/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I think it's funny that humans worry so much about us pooting. Do they ever count how many times THEY do during the day? And meowmie says my human dad is a prize-winner and she should get a purple heart for surviving 33 years with him and his pooting. When I lay around for a while and then chase Ernie, I leave a vapor trail also. It just builds up in there. As long as my poop is OK, meowmie doesn't worry about me. If I have diarrhea or loose poop, then it's a phone call to my doc for advice. I eat Purina One like my brofur and sissyfur and everything is fine. Unless I don't feel good, meowmie just puts up with it and I get blamed whenever anyone else does it.