Nicholas Andrew

Is it normal for cats to lick your face?

i went outside to get something and Nick was sitting on the porch. He climbed up me and starts licking my face. It was weird.

Asked by Nicholas Andrew on Jan 11th 2010 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Most cats do not lick people's hands and faces the way that dogs often do. But my Maggie does give kisses and sometimes on my face. I believe that Nick was "grooming" you the way they groom other cats. Either it was a sign of affection or else you had something on your face that tasted pretty good to him. LOL

Harvey

Every cat is different. Harvey likes to "groom" me by eating my hair. Spike seems to like licking my face after I've wiped it with ethanol (an alcoholic in a former life?). Elise likes to lick my hands. Anyway, it's a sign of love. Enjoy.

Harvey answered on 1/11/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Max

Most cats do not lick hands or face. I have one cat that licks my hands, arms and face. She loves the taste of my lotion. Your kitty must love you to groom you, she's giving you kitty kisses.

Max answered on 1/11/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Ziggy

My cat Ziggy does this and many of my feline friends have. Its kind of like grooming you so feel special. :) Just wash up after words.

Ziggy answered on 1/11/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Gracie

Yes, if they are the lovey kind and consider you to be special. I lick my mommy and daddy's face all the time. I also lick whatever other body part is handy if I'm feeling lovey. Just the other day I sat at the foot of the bed and "groomed" daddy's toes. When I do groom my humans (which is often), I can be heard purring.

It's my way to tell my humans that they are special and I love them. I also groom the other kitty in my house like that. Mom says I'm just a licky cat, but not all cats are that way. My big brother's way to tell mom and dad he loves them involved brushing against them, headbutting them, and sometimes sitting on them. MOL.

Mom says that cats have different ways to show affection for one another and other creatures, just like humans have different ways to show affection. I suppose that Nick, like me, is very much into grooming out of love. ;)

Gracie answered on 1/12/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer