Is it inhumane to have a cat's teeth filed so they aren't as sharp?

My cat is two years old and can play too rough. He has the tendency to randomly attack me when I'm walking away and leaves puncture marks on my calves that are very painful. He also likes to pounce on me mouth first leaving scape marks from his teeth. He eats only hard food, is there something I can do or get done to make his teeth not as sharp?

Asked by Member 940004 on Jan 21st 2010 Tagged teeth in Behavior & Training

Answers

Rex

I would consider having his teeth filed inhumane. Try squirting kitty with a water bottle every time she bites you. It is better to correct this behavior.

Rex answered on 1/21/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

No, no, no. I have never heard of this procedure. I have had numerous cat bites through the years, and you need a tetanus shot and antibiotics when bitten. I trim my cats' nails regularly, and can tell you that while sharp little untrimmed nails can do a lot of damage, being scratched by a cat with trimmed nails can leave deeper, uglier scars--to the point where I was once asked if my hand scars were the result of a suicide attempt! I would think that filing a cat's teeth would simply result in worse bites. What you need is behavior control. I am reluctant to punish cats (never, ever hit them), and also dubious about training methods that involve shooting water at them. But it seems that your cat has a strong feral streak. If this behavior cannot be cured, I would advise you to rehome him so that he can be socialized by someone with patience. No, not a shelter. You should either work with behavior control, or find a forever home for him.

Chibi answered on 1/21/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

If you or anyone else has ever played "rough" with your kitty, you must stop and now retrain him. It sounds like at one point, your cat was taught to believe that biting and scratching is OK. Never turn him over on his back as that is a "go ahead" signal for a cat to scratch and bite. Playtimes should be fun, but calm. They should not be rough, crazy and intense. Where did you come up with the idea to file his teeth? Permanent damage to his teeth could result, causing him pain and infections to say the least. His behavior has to be corrected and certainly not by hitting or yelling at him. When her babies get rough, Mamacat will hiss at them as a warning and then walk away. We can do the same thing. Tell him a sharp "NO!", and put him in a room for a few minutes as a "time out". You can also use a spray bottle (but not in his face) or a pop can with a few pennies shaken at him may also work. Your cat is not a born terrorist. He was made that way somehow and now needs to be re-trained.

Marshall

Ask yourself this question when wondering about problems like this...Would I allow someone to do this to me? If the answer is no, then don't do it. I don't do anything to my cat that I wouldn't do to myself. That includes declawing, overfeeding, unneeded vaccinations...ect.

If you don't want someone filing your teeth down, then don't put your animals through it.

It shocks me you even have to ask this question.

Marshall answered on 1/26/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Everyone has there own opinion to what is right or wrong, people say squirting with a water bottle is WRONG, people say giving catnip is wrong.

We as humans DO inded file our teeth, straighten our teeth, I swear everything is concidered inhumane to animals, but we do it to our selves.

I personally had my own teeth filed because they were sharp and/or chipped etc. So i personally think it would be just fine.

My cat also has VERY sharp teeth and is biting very rough, and as many times as i try to train him OVER and OVER and OVER till i am blue in the face. I would concider it, if there is a procedure for it.

Hey - I feel your pain and am dealing with this same issue! I am fostering a rescue with REALLY long fangs. I've never seen a cat with teeth this long. He doesn't seem to be aggressive but is constantly drawing blood whenever he gets his mouth near skin. This is the primary reason he was abandoned by his previous owners.

I don't think he is trying to bite anyone. He is really sweet. However, his fangs are getting in the way of his adoption chances b/c it LOOKS like he is biting but really his mouth is just brushing the person petting him/holding him. I've had enough cats to know the difference b/w a bite, a nip, and what seems to be an "incidental" scratch with this cat's tooth.

I am also trying to find out if there are any cat teeth "blunting" options for cats with really long fangs. Surely there is something to do -- particular if the problem isn't really a biting issue. Does anyone have any ideas??