Belle

Is it harmful to feed my cat wet food as a treat?

I usually feed her dry food - available to her all the time. but every now and then, she REALLY enjoys half a can of wet food. Plus, I sometimes feed her a few Feline Greenies (treats) that she loves. Is it harmful to her digestive system to hit it with so many varied foods? especially since I don't give her the wet food and treats every day - it's more like every once in a while.

Last night, she threw up a few times and it was all food (the dry food that she gets every day, not the wet food). I'm just wondering if it's getting to be too much on her digestion? Or it could be just a virus or something (she threw up in December, and the vet said it was just the flu).

Asked by Belle on Feb 12th 2009 in Treats

Answers

ButterBall

First off I'd like to say I'm no cat expert. No animal expert for that matter. However, the occasional wet food would be fine. I feed my little buddy wet food once or twice a week. He loves it. My little buddy has poop issues so I have to watch it, otherwise I might feed it to him more often. In fact, he's due some tonight. His poops have been nice and solid lately so this will be good for him.

ButterBall can stink it up with the best of them so he doesn't get wet food very often.

ButterBall answered on 2/12/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

What really upsets a cat's digestion is sudden changes in food, like one day you feed her Purina One and the next day Science Diet. Also, milk can upset their digestion. "Catsip" from the pet store is better. My three get a third of a little can of wet food daily as a treat. They are healthy, happy and always get the okey-dokey from their vet. If a cat throws up all food, it's usually because they ate too fast and swallowed too much air. Try feeding her just a small amount a few times a day, getting a timed feeder or free feeding so she won't gulp her food down as soon as you set it in front of her. The time to worry is when she stops eating, starts hiding, stops playing, etc. Any sudden change in behavior warrants an immediate trip to the vet--or a least a call.

Izzie's answer says it all. If you cruise the Food Forums, you'll find that many people feel that wet food is superior to dry. For years, I've been free-feeding my cats dry food, since that's the way my childhood cat was fed, and it's the easiest feeding method for all concerned. However, when I got my Maine Coons from my breeder, he suggested a bit of canned food every evening for a snack--which they love. For a long while, I was feeding them Hill's a/d (a highly nutritious food) because there was a Momcat, seven kittens, and a very skinny Maine Coon show cat, but it got too expensive ($4 per can!), and right now, I'm just feeding them dry. I've noticed that they are drinking much, much more water now than they did when they were eating dry mixed with wet, which worries me. Regarding the vomiting--there was one food that made everyone vomit (I suspect it was the food coloring, since the vomit was so colorful). Having said all that...when in doubt, take Belle to the vet.

Shadow

Harmful??? No way that is the best food you can give your obligate carnivore period! next to raw of course, but some people just dont want to do the raw thing, but wet food is closer to there natural diet than dry food.
Cats need meat, and wet food is higher in protein than dry food.
catinfo.org is a great site and you will learn the truth about feline nutrition.

Shadow answered on 2/17/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer