is it best to introduce new cats at the same time?

it now has come time for me to welcome in 2 kitties.
Is it best to do this at the same time or would it be ok to get 1 that is a year old, now and a kitten in the fall?

Asked by Member 1030786 on Apr 16th 2011 in The Adoption Process

Answers

It depends on where you are getting your kitties. If they are from the same litter/shelter and know each other, you won't have a minute's concern with introducing them. If they are from separate rescues/shelters, then you will have to go through the efforts of separating them and introduucing them to each other a little at a time. However, if they are the only animals in your house, you can just let them figure it out w/o separating them. They'll chase, wrestle, hide, hiss, etc, but eventually they will have more fun exploring their new digs that trying to pick fights. The most important thing is to go to a reputable shelter or rescue. If the place creeps you out, looks dirty, the animals look sickly, etc., run, don't walk, out of there. Share with the staff your lifestyle and what you are looking for in a cat (cats). They should ask many questions. Adopt through their advice, not simply because of a cat's color, etc. I would advise to adopt both together rather than wait. Good luck!

If you already have cats, I would add new cats/kittens one at a time for sure. Adult cats have a harder time accepting new adult cats. But even if the new adult will be your first, then he/she will have a harder time adjusting to a new home than a kitten will. I have added kittens to my family continuously for the last 4 years so my girls could care less when a "new kid" arrives. My youngest is usually the only one to react but adjusts quickly. I have never introduced a new adult. Kittens just plow right in and seem to adapt easily. However, if you are talking about adopting shelter cats, be aware that kittens will be abundant in the Spring and a little harder to find in the Fall. But because of the kitten invasion, an adult cat will be lucky to get a home at this time of year so it will be wonderful if you do get that adult now.