Charlie

Is it alright to fer a dog?

We have 3 cats and when we got Charlie and Sparky, Josie got all territorial and always seemed to fight with the kittens!
We're probably getting a dog and I don't know if Josie, Charlie or Sparky will be alright with him/her!

Asked by Charlie on Sep 19th 2009 in Choosing the Right Pet

Answers

Garfeild

This a hard question to answer, but I think I have the answer... My two cats and two dogs get along very well. At first they hated each other, but my dog Herschel had to show them who's boss by scaring them, and making the cats realize Herschel protects them, and he deserves respect. So I think if you do get a dog, at first it'll be a little hard, but you just have to keep an eye on the cats and the dog. Maybe put the dog in a crate (or put the cats in a crate or outside) when you can't watch them until you are positive they get along. It might not be the best idea to get a german shepard or something like that though, because if your cat tries to attack it once, trust me, your cat will probably be the german shepard's dinner, so maybe try a beagle, or some kind of dog that is loyal and is good with kids because if it can handle kids it can probably handle cats.

I hope this was helpful!

-Garfeild and Ralph's Owner
Good Luck!

Garfeild answered on 9/20/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Whenever I bring a cat or a dog home (I have 3 of each and I used to do animal rescue) I always put a baby gate up in the door of the room that was just for the cats. This room had a window (closed or open just a little), a litter box, food, water and some toys. I cut a cat sized hole in the bottom of the plastic mesh in the gate. The cats could fit through there but not the dogs. They could get way from the dogs that way. If your dog jumps over, you can get another gate and put it on top of the first one. Good luck!