Is is ok that I've recently started feeding my cats Special Kitty Cuisine Premium Dry Cat Food?

Is is ok that I've recently started feeding my cats Special Kitty Cuisine Premium Dry Cat Food? It says the first ingredient is Meat/Fish (without the words "by-product" or "meal" after it). I'm concerned because I know it's a cheaper brand, and I'm afraid I'm missing something. Any help is appreicated.

Asked by Member 1171785 on May 24th 2013 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

Sprinkles

Dry food in general is not an ideal food for cats, especially a cheaper brand/mainstream brand like special kitty, because #1 they are loaded with carbohydrates and #2 very low in moisture.

I don't want to take up too much space explaining so I'll post this:

www.catinfo.org

It is a whole site dedicated to the drawbacks of a dry food diet.

A diet that includes mostly canned(and dry on occasion if your rushing out the door and don't have time to scoop out canned food) is ideal. Always look for canned foods with only animal-based ingredients and vitamins/minerals. Maybe ONE grain ingredient at most if it is towards the end of the list. Surprisingly, companies like friskies and 9lives make foods that meet that criteria and they should fit your budget.

Sprinkles answered on 6/16/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

There is a misnomer about the word meal- it is the dry kibble after all of the water and fat have been removed. It takes approximately 5 pounds of chicken to make one pound of chicken meal. Whole ground corn or sorghum are what is much worse (fillers). BHA/BHT is a preservative linked to cancer, and anything artificial like colors, flavors and preservatives, or even natural additives like sugar or salt should not be necessary in cat food. With all that said, my cats eat Natural Choice and MaxCat by Nutro. They don't have any of the ingredients that were mentioned above that you should avoid in any pet food, and they come in different flavors and varities, plus they're 100% satisfaction guaranteed or your $$ back. You will find the better foods in pet specialty stores instead of the human supermarket. ^_^