copper and todd

Is grease and raw hamburger bad for cats?

My crazy cats got on the kitchen counter while I stepped out and got into some grease and raw hamburger. Right now 25% of their diet is already raw food but it is something I buy at the pet food store. They only got a little grease and meat is this bad for them?

Asked by copper and todd on Dec 7th 2008 in Other Food & Nutrition

Answers

It shouldn't hurt them. I give my cats small pieces of raw hamburger/meat scraps while I'm preparing food and they've always enjoyed it and never been sick. Worst case is that the grease will give them an upset stomach if they ate enough. Just keep an eye on the litter box and make sure any diahhrea is over quickly.

Sassy's right. I often give Izzie (and my dogs) a few tablespoonsful of raw hamburger when I'm making dinner with it. Now, if your guys went "hog-wild" and ate a half pound of it, then for sure I'd watch the box. If it upsets their stomachs, you may need to call your vet to ask about medication for them.